Can you give dogs Ibuprofen?

What exactly is Ibuprofen?

Ibuprofen is a frequently prescribed nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medicine (NSAID) for treating humans’ fever, discomfort, and inflammation (swelling). Ibuprofen and other NSAIDs relieve inflammation by inhibiting specific bodily processes.

Popular over-the-counter medicine ibuprofen is also accessible with a doctor’s prescription. Ibuprofen may be the only component of a drug, or it may be a component of a combination product. These drugs may include opioids, antihistamines, decongestants, and acetaminophen. Typical applications include the treatment of headaches, pain, colds, influenza, and menstrual pain.

Is Ibuprofen Safe for Dogs?

No, it is not safe to give Ibuprofen to dogs. Ibuprofen is an NSAID (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug) commonly available in grocery shops and pharmacies. However, it would help if you kept Advil and Motrin in the medical cabinet. It is intended for humans, not canines.

According to Price, your dog eating Ibuprofen can have severe adverse effects, mainly on the gastrointestinal (GI) system. These include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, abdominal pain, and gastric ulcers, which have symptoms of bloody vomiting and diarrhea and black, tarry stool. Indeed, it seems revolting, but consider how your poor puppy is experiencing.

Why are NSAIDs like Ibuprofen and aspirin hazardous for dogs?

These medications reduce inflammation’s discomfort by blocking the enzymes that create inflammation in the body. However, these enzymes also support the health of our kidneys and digestive tract. For humans, a tiny quantity of Ibuprofen can decrease pain and inflammation without altering body function, but this is not helpful for dogs, and the substance is poisonous.

How is ibuprofen poisoning defined?

Although safe for humans, Ibuprofen and other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) can be severely dangerous to dogs. There is a risk of poisoning when pets consume their owners’ drugs. Occasionally, owners may treat their pet’s pain with Ibuprofen before contacting a veterinarian.

What causes an overdose of Ibuprofen?

Ibuprofen and other NSAIDs function by inhibiting inflammatory chemical reactions in the body. Unfortunately, these chemical activities are essential for normal digestive, renal, liver, and blood-clotting functioning.

Ibuprofen is rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream after ingestion. Instead of being eliminated from the body, Ibuprofen is continually reabsorbed in the intestines after being released from the liver. This recycling prolongs the effects of the toxin. Poisoning can result from a single dose or many doses. Puppies and senior dogs are more susceptible to poisoning. Other medical disorders, such as renal or liver illness, may enhance the likelihood of poisoning. Dogs already receiving corticosteroids or another NSAID have an increased risk of gastrointestinal ulcers.

Price notes that dogs and breeds more prone to gastrointestinal issues may be more susceptible to ibuprofen side effects. These include huskies, German shepherds, poodles, some terriers, and any dog with food sensitivities or gastrointestinal disorders.

How is poisoning with Ibuprofen treated?

Early decontamination and treatment reduce the likelihood of severe consequences. If ibuprofen ingestion happens within several hours after treatment, the veterinarian may induce vomiting. Once vomiting is under control, activated charcoal can be provided to reduce ibuprofen absorption through the gastrointestinal system. To limit the risk of aspiration into the lungs and life-threatening salt level fluctuations, a veterinarian should only administer activated charcoal. Antiacids, anti-nausea drugs, and gastrointestinal protectants are frequently prescribed. If you suspect your pet has consumed Ibuprofen, you should immediately contact your veterinarian.

Depending on the dose consumed, hospitalization may be required. Fluids may be given subcutaneously or intravenously. Dogs exhibiting more severe symptoms may require rigorous treatment due to an increased risk of long-term damage or death. Bloodwork may be performed to check liver and kidney function and the red blood cell count. In cases of severe poisoning, liver protectants, muscle relaxants, and drugs to control seizures may be required.

What care will my dog require after treatment?

In most cases of ibuprofen poisoning, gastrointestinal protectants and a bland diet are advised for several days after exposure. Dogs exposed to greater doses or prolonged exposure may require continued monitoring for liver or kidney damage after release. If kidney damage occurs, subcutaneous fluid administration can be continued at home. Frequently, liver-damaged dogs are given vitamins to protect the liver. Depending on the dog’s state, drugs and monitoring may be continued for several days to months. Sometimes, liver or kidney damage may impair the long-term function of ibuprofen-tolerant dogs.

Are there other ways to manage pain in dogs?

Although many pet owners may initially worry, “Can I feed my dog ibuprofen?” numerous other pain-relieving methods are entirely safe. Depending on the cause of the pain, you may be able to avoid medications or at least reduce your reliance on them. Canine hydrotherapy, for instance, can help your pet recover from an illness or injury by employing a therapeutic activity to assist recovery.

Acupuncture could also be beneficial for dogs suffering from arthritis or hip dysplasia. Acupuncture is a centuries-old method in which tiny needles are inserted at precise points in the body to relax and increase blood flow. However, before enrolling your dog in a session, it is always a good idea to consult your veterinarian to ensure that this procedure will assist your dog’s particular condition.

Sometimes, extra exercise or dietary adjustments are sufficient to alleviate specific forms of pain, such as arthritis-related joint discomfort. To ensure your dog receives the best possible care, you should evaluate the enormous array of resources available for pain management.

How to find the cause of your dog’s pain

When an owner begins searching for Ibuprofen or other pain medication for their best pet, a crucial step may have been skipped: diagnosing the source of the suffering. Occasionally, pain medication might assist in alleviating discomfort, but determining the underlying cause is also frequently essential. If you suspect that your dog is in discomfort, contact your veterinarian, who will be able to recommend the best course of action.

Now that you know why you shouldn’t give your dog ibuprofen or aspirin, here is a list of strange canine symptoms, including changes in behavior and appetite, that may indicate your dog is in pain or ill.

Can dogs take Aleve?

Even a tiny dose of Aleve can induce life-threatening adverse effects in canines. Consult your veterinarian if your dog needs treatment for discomfort, particularly persistent pain caused by arthritis. Do not administer this medication to your dog under any circumstances.

What should I do if my canine consumes aleve?

If your dog consumes Aleve, you may have little time to intervene. Within thirty minutes to three hours, Aleve is absorbed into the bloodstream.

A low dose of even one pill may cause significant side effects within two to twenty-four hours, whereas a high amount may cause deadly kidney failure in less than a day. Here are some of the possible adverse effects of giving your dog Aleve:

  • Weakness
  • Lethargy
  • Variations in water usage
  • Alterations in urine
  • Reduced appetite
  • Paleness
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea

If you believe or know that your dog has consumed Aleve, contact a veterinarian immediately. If your dog has recently ingested Aleve, the veterinarian may urge you to induce vomiting, maybe using hydrogen peroxide.

They may also urge you to administer activated charcoal to your dog to absorb part of the medicine. Even if your dog vomits up the Aleve, you should still take him to the emergency veterinarian as soon as possible.


Ibuprofen treats mild to severe pain and lower fever in humans. Although comparable to Tylenol, it functions differently. Ibuprofen is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medication (NSAID). It may be toxic to your pet if ingested. Dogs are more sensitive than humans to the effects of Ibuprofen. Ibuprofen is metabolized differently by canines and humans. Even with low doses, adverse effects can be life-threatening. Contact your vet immediately if your pet has consumed Ibuprofen.

Share This Article